We are located in the remote
Chama Wilderness of Northern New Mexico.
Dogs are welcome at Remote Casita!
Remote Wilderness Casita is located within the only twenty mile long gated box canyon
in the Chama Wilderness. The rental includes one large room with kitchen, dining area,
and queen size bed. There is a large covered porch with two twin beds, BBQ, table, chairs.
The rental is located on the site of an early 1900s homestead and is one of three
vacation rentals we have in the canyon, with Ranch Wilderness Casita
and Anasazi Wilderness Glamping Cabin.
Gallina Canyon Ranch has been featured in many national
and regional magazines, including
New Mexico magazine, The Santa Fean, Better Homes and Gardens, Sunset, and Martha Stewart Living.
Due to the 14 crossings of Rio Gallina required to get to Remote Casita,
we take all visitors regardless of what type of vehicle they have, and their provisions
in our truck. We will return you to the main ranch and your vehicle at the end of your stay.
- We provide fresh drinking water from our spring: two 5-gallon containers. There is also
fresh rain water in the 1,600 gallon cistern.
- A picturesque kitchen and dining area.
- A three-burner propane stove.
- A medium size refrigerator - freezer that makes ice.
- Dish soap and paper towels.
- French coffee press.
- Kerosene lamp.
- A large outside deck.
- An outdoor wood-burning stove with firewood.
- A propane barbecue grill.
- A 4-gallon solar shower bag, liquid bath soap.
- An outhouse, with toilet paper.
- When available, we will provide eggs from our hens and produce from our garden.
- 20 miles of peace, quiet, and privacy.
- Technology-free vacation.
- Perfect for writers, photographers, artists, and people who want to "get away from the world for awhile."
- Ideal for hiking enthusiasts at all levels.
Remote Casita Policies:
- We require a signed waiver from each person when you arrive. Please read the waiver before booking the rental.
- Camp fires and smoking are prohibited in the canyon due to the extreme fire risk.
- No hunting.
- Dogs are not allowed on the bed. Please let us know before you arrive that you are bringing a dog.
- Please fry food outside only.
- If possible, please arrive by 1:00 PM. Do not arrive after 5:00 PM.
- Check-out time is 11 AM.
- This is a hard-working cattle ranch. You may encounter cows, calves and horses, chickens and wild turkeys, elk and deer during your stay; they will peacefully ignore you if you peacefully ignore them.
- The kitchen contains salt, pepper, sugar, extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, tea,
and various seasonings. Prior to your arrival you will wish to shop for all of your food,
drink, and snacks for your entire stay.
- You might wish to bring water shoes. It is possible for Rio Gallina to
flash flood: do not attempt to cross in times of flooding.
- You may wish to bring slippers to wear inside Remote Casita, as the floor is tiled. We also suggest that you bring head lamps if you want to read at night
- More pictures of Gallina Canyon Ranch are available on our More Images web page.